(Last Updated On: June 7, 2015)
African Presidents are mostly the highest paid people in their country. So today we focus on which African presidents take home the biggest pay-cheque.
10. John Dramani Mahama, President Of Ghana – $76,000 a year
He has been president of Ghana since July 2012. This is also the year when salaries of the president and prime ministers were increased.
9. Paul Kagame – President Of Rwanda: $85,000 per year
Paul Kagame is the longest serving president of Rwanda who makes around $85,000 a year. Through his time of leadership, he has brought his country from a period of almost collapse to a rapid economic growth.
8. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia – $90,000 per year.
She is the first woman president in Africa. She is also a Nobel prize laureate and earns approximately $90,000 a year. In 2014 she was listed as the 70th most powerful woman in the world.
7. Alassane Ouattara, President of Ivory Coast – $100,000 a year.
He is the 5th president of Ivory Coast and an economist by profession.
6. Hage Geingob, President of Namibia – $110,000 a year
He is Namibia’s 3rd president and was the first Prime Minister of Namibia. He won the election by an overwhelming margin.
5. Denis Sassou Nguesso, President of Rep Congo – $110,000 a year
He has been in power for a number of years.
4. Ikililou Dhoinine, President of Comoros – $115,000 a year.
He has been president since 2011. He is a pharmacist by trainings.
3. Uhuru Kenyatta, President of Kenya – $132,000 a year
Uhuru Kenyatta is the 4th president of Kenya and son of the first president of Kenya. He is the first president to take a pay cut in order to tame the overwhelming wage bill in the country for public officers.
2. Abdelaziz Bouteflika, President of Algeria – $168,000 a year
Is the 5th president of Algeria and has been in power since 1999.
1. Jacob Zuma, President of South Africa – $272,000 a year
He is the highest earning president and leads the wealthiest country in Africa. He also approved a 5.5% salary increase for top public servants.