(Last Updated On: June 23, 2015)
Centum Investments reported a 160% rise in net profit for the year ended March 31st 2015. This is from around Ksh3 billion to around Ksh7.9 billion. This is mainly due to gains in disposals of investments, increase in property value and increase in dividends from the companies in its portfolio.
Investment income was up by 142% to Ksh11.8 billion. This is after the sale of their stakes in Longhorn Publisher and UAP Holdings. The net asset value per share increased by 39% to Ksh48. According the CEO James Mworia the company will not pay any dividends till 2019. The firm plans to venture into sectors of agriculture, education and healthcare.
Here are some of the achievements in the just concluded financial year:
1. Buying of a larger stake in Almasi Beverages which bottles for Coca Cola. It will now own 50.95%.
2. The firm established King Beverage ltd so as to sell Calsberg beer.
3. Increased shareholding in K-Rep Bank. Centum acquired 66% of K Rep Bank and will add Ksh3.6 billion in additional capital.
4. Won a tender in a consortium with Gulf Energy to build a 1,050MW coal plant in Lamu.
5. Sold their stake in UAP Holdings to Old Mutual Plc for around Ksh6.8 billion.
6. Began construction in the Pearl Marina real estate project in Uganda.