(Last Updated On: June 25, 2015)
Nigeria is the country in Africa with the highest population plus it has some of the biggest banks in Africa. A large number of the population have access to a financial institution. Here is a list of the biggest banks in the country and which ones have the largest profitability.
10. Sterling Bank Plc – Total Assets 841 billion Naira
The bank has a branch network of 175 branches all over Nigeria. Full year pretax profit stood at N10.7 billion.
9. Union Bank Of Nigeria – Total Assets N1 trillion
Full year 2014 profit before tax stood at N27.7 billion.
8. Fidelity Bank Nigeria – Total Assets N1.19 trillion
The bank recorded a full year 2014 profit before tax of N15.5 billion.
7. First City Monument Bank – Total Assets N1.2 Trillion
It offers retail banking, corporate banking and investment banking services. Full year pretax profit for 2014 stood at 23.94 billion naira ($120 million)
6. Ecobank Nigeria – Total Assets N1.32 trillion
5. Access Bank – Total Assets N1.835 trillion
Full year 2014 pretax profits stood at N52.02 billion.
4. Diamond Bank – Total Assets N1.93 trillion
Full year 2014 profit before tax stood at N28.1 billion.
3. Guaranty Trust Bank – Total Assets N3.15 trillion.
Full year profit before tax stood at N116.385 billion.
2. First Bank of Nigeria – Total Assets N3.2 trillion
Full year profit before tax stood at N82.8 billion.
1. Zenith Bank – Total Assets N3.3 trillion.
Full year profit before tax stood at N119.79 billion.